General By-Laws of the North Dakota Head Start Association, Inc
(Head Start, Early Head Start, Tribal and Migrant Head Start)
ARTICLE 1: NAME
The name of the Corporation shall be North Dakota Head Start Association, hereinafter referred to as "NDHSA".
ARTICLE II: PURPOSE
The purpose of NDHSA shall be:
Section 1: To establish communication, cooperation, and an action network between:
- Head Start/Early Head Start Parents
- Head Start/Early Head Start Staff
- Head Start/Early Head Start Directors
- Head Start State Collaboration Administrator
- Head Start/Early Head Start Friends
Section 2: To review/assess common interests, accomplishments, needs, and concerns of North Dakota Head Start/Early Head Start programs.
Section 3: To coordinate and conduct training activities designed to upgrade the quality of Head Start/Early Head Start programs.
Section 4: To be a resource and support link between State, Regional and National Head Start Associations.
Section 5: To develop joint policies, positions and statements for dissemination, if appropriate, to the State, Regional and National Head Start offices and other appropriate entities which reflect a consensus of the opinion of the Association.
Section 6: To continue a partnership between Head Start/Early Head Start and the State of North Dakota through the Head Start State Collaboration Office.
ARTICLE III: GENERAL MEMBERSHIP
Section 1: A program may become a member of NDHSA through payment of program dues. Membership/fiscal year shall begin October 1 and end September 30th.
Section 2: The board will determine yearly program membership dues. Payment of program dues entitles parents or their representative, staff, directors, collaboration administrator and friends to membership in NDHSA. Notification of annual dues will be sent to programs in January.
Section 3: Each member program will be represented by:
- One parent or their representative
- One staff representative
- The Director
- The collaboration administrator
- One program friend (optional)
This will become the NDHSA Board hereinafter referred to as "the Board".
Section 4: Dues are not refundable.
Section 5: Each member program of NDHSA shall have the following rights:
- To receive information pertinent to the maintenance, development and activities of NDHSA
- To receive notices of meetings of NDHSA
- To receive minutes of all regular and special meetings of NDHSA
- To be eligible for election to NDHSA from and by the local program they represent.
- To be eligible for appointment to membership on standing or special committees.
ARTICLE IV: BOARD AND EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
Section 1: The Board in accordance with the by-laws of NDHSA shall manage the business of NDHSA.
Section 2: Each Board member shall be seated at the annual meeting will have one vote and must be current member of NDHSA. If a Board member is elected to a Regional or Nation offices, this person will be allowed to serve the remainder of the term.
Section 3: Each parent, staff, director and friend may select an alternate who is a member of NDHSA, to act in their absences. In the event a Board member or their alternate is unable to attend a Board meeting, a written proxy vote must be given to the Board Chairperson prior to the Board meeting.
Section 4: The Board shall meet annually or more often as needed.
Section 5: A quorum of the Board shall be 51% of the current programs. The intent is to have parent, staff and director representation for each meeting.
Section 6: A Board Member may be removed by his/her program due to special circumstances. Notifications of such action should be given to the NDHSA Board Chairperson immediately thereafter.
Section 7: Any Board member may resign by giving immediate written notice to the Board Chairperson.
Section 8: Vacancies on the Board shall be filled by the program in which the vacancy occurs.
Section 9: The Executive Committee of NDHSA shall be comprised of two representatives from parents, staff, and directors appointed or elected by the Board. No one program shall be represented more than once on the Executive Committee.
Section 10: The Executive Committee shall meet as needed between meetings of the Board to conduct business on behalf of the Board. The board must ratify all actions taken by the Executive Committee.
Section 11: A quorum of the Executive Committee shall be 51% of the current committee membership.
Section 12: Special meeting of the Executive Committee may be called by the chairperson or by four representatives from the Committee Members.
ARTICLE V: OFFICERS
Section 1: The officers of the Board shall be the President, Vice-President, Secretary, Fiscal Officer, and other officers as designated by the board.
Section 2: The officers of the Board also serve as the officers of the Executive Committee.
Section 3: Duties of the officers shall be as follows:
- President: The President shall be the Chief Executive Officer of NDHSA. He/she shall serve as the Chairperson of the Board, and shall see that all orders and resolutions of the Board are carried into effect. The Chairperson shall also be the primary spokesperson for NDHSA and shall oversee all activities of NDHSA.
- Vice-President: In the absence, inability, or refusal of the President to act, the Vice-President, unless otherwise determined by the Board, shall perform the duties of the President. When so acting, the Vice-President shall have all the powers of and be subject to all the restrictions upon the President. Vice-Chairperson will be responsible for Board awards as established in Policy 1.
- Secretary: The Secretary shall keep accurate records of meetings of the Board, the Executive Committee, and the General Membership. The Secretary shall have general charge of the NDHSA records. The Secretary shall keep a record of the names and addresses of current Board members. The Secretary shall be responsible for distribution of minutes to each program. The Secretary shall in general perform all duties incident to the office of Secretary and other duties as shall be assigned to him/her by the President.
- Fiscal Officer: The Fiscal Officer shall keep accurate fiscal records of all monetary accounts held by NDHSA. The Fiscal Officer shall produce a written report to be submitted to the President 7 days prior to each Board meeting. The Fiscal Officer shall perform in general all duties incident to the office of Fiscal Officer and other duties as assigned by the Chairperson. An Ex-officio member, subject to the approval of the Board, may perform the Fiscal officer's duties. The position of the Fiscal Officer must be approved annually.
Section 4: Officers shall be elected from the membership of the Board at the annual meeting of NDHSA.
Section 5: The term of office shall commence at the conclusion of the annual
NDAEYC Conference for a period of two years.
Section 6: Vacancies in any office of NDHSA shall be filled by the Board for a
period not to exceed the original term. All such appointments shall be
regarded as a partial term of office.
Section 7: Any officer elected by the Board may be removed at any time by two-thirds (2/3) vote by a quorum of the Board.
ARTICLE VI: CONTRACTS, LOANS, CHECKS, DEPOSITS AND AUDITS
Section 1: CONTRACTS: The Board may authorize any officer(s), or agent(s) to enter into any contract or execute and deliver any instrument in the name of NDSHA.
Section 2: LOANS: No loans shall be contracted on behalf of NDHSA, and no evidence of indebtedness shall be issued in its name unless authorized by a resolution of the Board.
Section 3: CHECKS, DRAFTS, AND VOUCHERS: All checks, drafts, vouchers or other orders for payment by NDHSA shall be signed by such officer(s) or agent(s) of NDHSA and is such manner as shall be determined by resolution of the Board.
Section 4: DEPOSITS: All funds of NDHSA not otherwise employed, shall be deposited to the credit of NDHSA in such depositories as the Board may select.
Section 5: AUDIT: The Board will authorize an audit to be conducted annually at the conclusion of NDHSA's fiscal year.
ARTICLE VII: COMMITTEES
Section 1: The President of the Executive Committee shall appoint such committees and task forces as necessary and shall appoint a chairperson of all such committees and task forces.
Section 2: Membership on all committees shall be broadly representative of all program groups of the Board.
ARTICLE VIII: MEETINGS
Section 1: Meeting of NDHSA shall be held annually, on the date(s) selected by the Board. Additional meetings may be called by the Board or the Executive Committee.
Section 2: All annual NDHSA and regular or special Board Meetings shall be held at the geographic location agreeable to the majority of the Board.
Section 3: Advance notice of all NDHSA and Board Meetings shall be mailed to members not less than 15 days prior to meeting date.
ARTICLE IX: RULES
Robert's Rules of Order (current edition) shall be held as parliamentary authority of NDHSA meetings in so far as they do not conflict with these by-laws.
ARTICLE X: AMENDMENTS
These by-laws may be amended by an affirmative vote of the Board. All proposed amendments must be mailed and circulated to the Board at least thirty (30) days prior to the vote. Mail ballots will be submitted to eligible board members. A majority of all votes cast shall be required to pass on issues presented by mail ballots. If votes are cast in person, a majority vote by a Board quorum shall be required for passage.
ARTICLE XI: REGIONAL REPRESENTATIVE
Section 1: Regional representatives shall be elected from the Board upon written support from their member program. All representatives shall be current in State, Region VIII, and National dues.
Section 2: Term of office shall be for a period of two (2) years consistent with Regional Head Start Association seating procedures.
Section 3: Each representative shall receive a meeting allowance based on the Board approved budget to attend Regional Board meetings. Payment to the program will be made upon the completion of a written request submitted to the NDHSA Fiscal Officer.